Meet our four fabulous young tourism guns who are completing traineeships with MRBTA. An extra special thumbs up to Sunny Thompson, who just returned from representing Australia in Spain in the recent Underwater Hockey World Championships. Sunny said that she was “totally inspired by the talent and commitment that all the Australian players show (including my team mates)” and was super excited “for the potential and thrill that the next Age Group World Champs will be hosted in home soil in Hobart, Tasmania in two years’ time.” Onya, Sunny!
Sunny Thompson | 19 years old
What’s been your favourite part of the traineeship so far? Being a trainee for the MRBTA I’ve been given so many great opportunities to work in different parts of the association, if I had to choose a favorite moment (very hard to pick!) it would be as follows: I was lucky enough to experience a beautiful day in April when I was working as a Lighthouse Guide at Cape Leeuwin where the was literally NO WIND! (It was always sooo windy & cold when I worked here). When I was at the top of the tower that day there was still no wind from the looking down the ocean was crystal clear like I’d never seen before. Paul, who’s been at the Lighthouse for many years, assured me that this weather was a rare occasion (happening on average only 5 days a year). Amazing!
What do you plan to do when you finish your traineeship? I’m not exactly 100% sure yet! Ideally I would love to continue working with MRBTA and living in Margaret River Region – I couldn’t think of a better place in the world to call my back yard.
- When did you start your traineeship? I started my Traineeship in January 2014, not long after graduating from Year 12 in 2013.
- What’s been your favourite part of the traineeship so far? Definitely the knowledge that I received, I was able to learn so much more about my absolute passion which I bring into the workplace almost every day.
- What do you plan to do when you finish your traineeship? I am hoping to take my knowledge to the Big Smoke and get even more valuable experiences, my real dream is for it to take me all over the world!
- When did you start your traineeship? I started my traineeship in 2014 with my cert 3 and I’m now doing my cert 4.
- What’s been your favourite part of the traineeship so far? The people I work with and being able to experience the members businesses on famils, in particular the Eco Adventure Tours, riding electric quad bikes through the Boranup Forest!
- What do you plan to do when you finish your traineeship? Maybe further my training.
- When did you start your traineeship? I have been working with the MRBTA for nearly two years now, and my traineeship has just started in the middle of August. I have had a few TAFE classes so far and it’s looking interesting.
- What’s been your favourite part of the traineeship so far? I am very lucky that I get to go on famils (familiarisation with the area)! I was really lucky to have had the opportunity to go sky diving. I got to land on the beach. It was amazing. The staff at the MRBTA have become good friends of mine too.
- What do you plan to do when you finish your traineeship? I haven’t quite decided yet, theres many different pathways I could go down. I love the industry so I plan to keep working hard and see what opportunities come up.