WA Labor leader Mark McGowan has revealed plans for tourism and Labor’s ‘Brand WA’ initiative, which will provide a global toolkit of consistent concepts, packaging and messaging that will promote our State to the rest of the world.
Invest $425 million in tourism
- Invest $425 million to promote WA so it becomes one of the world’s great tourist destinations
- Promote WA through increased investment in destination and event marketing and the Perth Convention Bureau
- Provide certainty in funding to the industry to maximize the return on investment from both public sector and complementary private sector investment
- Develop more landside tourist opportunities for the burgeoning cruise ship sector
- Encourage a more tourism friendly hospitality culture by cutting red tape
- Establish ‘Brand WA’ to provide a consistent but flexible approach to marketing WA across all industries
- Consult with industry to fast track the development of Brand WA
- Apply Brand WA across the work of government when promoting the State to the rest of Australia and overseas
Creating New Jobs – The Knowledge Economy
- Invest $2 million in an international education strategy to increase WA’s market share of overseas students
- Work with Study Perth (Perth Education City) on marketing projects that include relevant Government agencies with an export focus
Promote International Trade and Investment
- The Premier to lead an international trade delegation at least once each year to profile WA
- The delegations will focus on WA as an emerging business destination, strengthen government to government relationships and grow the States international networks
Perth Racing Masters Carnival to become major tourist drawcard and create jobs
- Dedicate $200,000 annually to promote Perth Racing Masters Carnival.
- Work with Perth Racing and other tourism operators to create purpose designed packages targeting the most promising international markets.
- Work with local tourism and event bodies and other equine sectors to create complementary events such as food and wine festivals, show jumping and dressage events.