A partnership between MRBTA and the Shire of Augusta Margaret River is offering local tourism operators the opportunity to strengthen their appeal to high yielding, environmentally conscious visitor markets, by becoming ECO Certified through Ecotourism Australia.
With consumer interest in sustainable travel expected to accelerate further in the wake of Covid-19, ECO Certification is a way for tourism businesses to signal to visitors that they provide high quality experiences which are backed by a strong, well-managed commitment to sustainable practices.
MRBTA and the Shire of Augusta Margaret River are supporting local operators to become ECO Certified by offering a range of benefits and incentives.
Benefits and Incentives
From the Shire of Augusta Margaret River:
- A $500 cash subsidy to offset the first annual Certification fee* for up to ten businesses.
- One-to-one business coaching through certification process.
- Business listing on dedicated ecotourism landing page at margaretriver.com.
- Inclusion in ecotourism related blogs and itinerary.
- Promotion via Margaret River Region social media channels.
- Business listing on eco-tourism visitor centre printed handout.
- Dedicated business TV screen advertisement in the region’s visitor centres (conditions apply).
- Inclusion in ecotourism destination image library for access by media and travel trade.
- Priority inclusion in destination PR opportunities relating to eco-tourism.
From Ecotourism Australia**:
- Listing and promotion on the Green Travel Guide once the business is certified.
- Successful businesses will join an established global network offering visitors an easy way of finding genuine and authentic ecotourism experiences.
As Tourism Australia and Tourism Western Australia grow their efforts to target the sustainable travel market, it is anticipated that sustainable tourism products will also have increased exposure opportunities through these peak tourism bodies.
*Annual certification fees start at $580 per year for businesses with a turnover of $250,000 or less.
**Also available to businesses already certified with Ecotourism Australia.
In order to receive the benefits, businesses must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must be located in AMR Shire
- Must be a financial MRBTA member
- Must offer an experience where the visitor’s time is spent mainly within a natural area or with a focus on the natural or cultural values of the area.
- Eligibility will be fully confirmed in consultation with Ecotourism Australia.
More information on eligibility and processes available via Ecotourism Australia’s ECO Essentials Guide.
You are invited to attend the following information session to learn more about the benefits of Certification and how to access the associated benefits:
ECO Certification Information Session
Tuesday 23 February 2021
Council Chambers, 41 Wallcliffe Road, 6285
Hosts and speakers will include Ecotourism Australia (via video conference),
MRBTA and the Shire of Augusta Margaret River.
The session will be accompanied by a glass of wine and refreshments. The session is free to attend and you are not required to prepare anything in advance.