How to Promote Your Event
We’ve created a handy guide with ideas to help you spread the word on your upcoming event.
Promotion via Your Own Business
- Add the event to your website and make it easily accessible from your homepage.
- Create a Facebook event and share with your followers. Set aside some budget to promote your event by boosting it to your target audience.
- Share your event by emailing your customer database.
MRBTA Member Support
All members of the MRBTA have access to adding event listings to our website. We are the region’s number one destination authority attracting over 1.3 million page views per year. Our events calendar is a top 10 landing page on margaretriver.com, leveraging your event to locals and visitors.
Add your event to margaretriver.com via our online portal.
Please note the following conditions that need to be met in order to be featured:
- The Margaretriver.com event calendar listings are prioritised for member businesses of the Margaret River Busselton Tourism Association and our event partners. You can find out more about MRBTA Membership here
- Events hosted by local community groups and charities are welcome to share their events without requiring a membership.
- To be featured an event must take place within the Margaret River Region.
- If you are unsure how your event fits into this criteria or would like to find out more, please call our Membership Team on (08) 9780 5959 (Mon – Fri).
- Events will be uploaded to margaretriver.com within 48 hours.
- Opportunity to be featured in our monthly What’s On Guide. The guide receives around 2,000 hits per month, is promoted on our social channels and is included in our monthly consumer email marketing with 30,000+ subscribers, plus a monthly What’s On EDM to our database who have indicated they are interested in hearing about events in the region. For consideration, your event must be submitted and published on margaretriver.com no later than the 15th of each month to appear in the following month.
- Opportunity to be featured in the bi-monthly media newsletter distributed to MRBTA media contacts. Please email [email protected] to express your interest in inclusion.
- If you have an industry-focused message that you would like to share with other MRBTA members regarding your event, we can share this in the ‘Member News’ section of our Weekly Industry Roundup. This might be seeking sponsors, partners or something similar. Please email [email protected] with a brief message and any other relevant information.
- Event posters and flyers can be promoted through our visitor centres in Busselton & Margaret River, simply drop in and provide to the team.
- Printed handouts of the weekly what’s on guide is promoted in Visitors Centres in Busselton & Margaret River.
If your event is loaded on margaretriver.com, it will be included in the handout.
Working with Media
- Prepare a media release. Tourism Australia has a great resource on how to write a media release.
- Distribute your media release to local media, the MRBTA ([email protected]) and Australia’s South West and include compelling, high-res imagery (without watermarks) that media can use.
– Augusta-Margaret River Times | [email protected]
– Margaret River Mail | [email protected]
– Pelican Post (Augusta) | [email protected]
– Busselton Mail | [email protected]
– Busselton-Dunsborough Times | [email protected]
Facebook groups are a great way to promote your event. You could look at targeting local community groups or special interest groups relevant to your event.
Some local community groups include:
- Approach local businesses and ask to put up your poster or flyers in their coffee shops or venue.
- Contact local accommodation providers – caravan parks, hotels, hostels. Email them your event or ask if you can put flyers out at reception.
Have any questions? Contact MRBTA Membership | [email protected] or (08) 9780 5959