Skip to main content

Licensing a vehicle as a charter vehicle – industry facts

Do you have the appropriate licencing in place to operate a charter vehicle? There are 3 main requirements to be aware of:

  1. F (charter) extension (or T): A charter (bus) driver’s or charter vehicle licence which allows a driver to carry passengers for hire or reward.
  2. In addition, you must also obtain a charter vehicle licence (CVL) for any passenger motor vehicle used for hire and reward, which is not a taxi or a regular passenger transport vehicle.
  3. Compulsory third party insurance appropriate to the class of vehicle i.e. 3F

In the interest of passenger safety and industry best practise, the Department of Transport have put together the following industry information to help you understand what requirements are necessary to licence vehicles and drivers for charter use.

A friendly reminder that having the correct licences in place, is a condition of membership with the Margaret River Busselton Tourism Association.

For further information, visit