Here is a snapshot of what’s happening with your fellow members and in the local community. Make sure you also click through the gallery below for accompanying photos.
- Cape Cellars: After years in the planning, Cape Cellars have moved into their new purpose-built premises at West Busselton Shopping Centre (next to IGA). There were a few nostalgic moments (and perhaps a few cheeky beers) as the team moved the last of their stock from the old store and reflected on 16 years of great memories. Cape Cellars is one of only two independent liquor stores in Busselton so pop in, experience the same great service and range of local wines and craft beers. Don’t forget to join the Cellar Club loyalty programme for entry in a weekly $250 giveaway, exclusive offers and earn points on every purchase!
- Walk Into Luxury: Walk into Luxury has launched a new 4 day small group walk, called the “Cape to Cape (Margaret River) Walk”. You can learn more about the new walk by clicking here. While you are on the Walk into Luxury website, you might also like to check out their new look home page and other page updates which showcase the stunning images from a recent photoshoot.
- Whale Watch Western Australia: The luxury vessel Steep Point will return to the waters of Flinders Bay and Geographe Bay this upcoming whale watching season, but will also bring a new family management team and brand along for the ride. Whale Watch Western Australia (formerly known as Albatross Charters) will be headed up (and crewed) by the Sharp family who have recently returned to their native Western Australia after many years of owning and/or managing several marine operations on the East Coast. Husband, father and skipper, Drew has been in the marine industry most of his life – a former pearl diver in the Kimberley and skipper for Sea World Whale Watching on the Gold Coast. Along with his wife Leanne and two daughters, Gemma and Jade, the family also owned and operated a successful penguin cruise operation from Melbourne to St Kilda Pier for 4 years. The family look forward to getting established in the region, growing their tourism product and establishing industry relationships with local tourism agencies and professionals, as well as building on their previous experience in Victoria.
- Official Opening Mowen Rd, Nannup: Mowen Road, linking Margaret River to the town of Nannup and the Blackwood River Valley, was officially opened in March by Hon Dean Nalder MLA, Minister for Transport. This is a critical transport route linking the coastal and inland regions and has been a partnership project of Main Roads and the Shire of Nannup. Valued in excess of $28M, this project supports social, economic and agricultural activity in the South West region. The opening event was celebrated in conjunction with the Black Dog Ride, featuring over 450 motorbikes riding to raise awareness of depression and suicide prevention.
- Wharncliffe Mill Bush Retreat in Margaret River has been accepted as a Platinum level GreenLeader into the TripAdvisor® GreenLeaders™ program, which helps travellers around the world plan greener trips by highlighting accommodation providers engaging in environmentally-friendly practices. TripAdvisor GreenLeaders properties have met a set of environmental standards developed for TripAdvisor by a leading environmental consulting firm, with input from expert partners including Ecotourism Australia and United Nations Environment Program. Read the full press release here: Wharncliffe Mill press release
- In conjunction with the Cape to Cape Catchments Group, Cape to Cape Publishing invite you to join them for the launch of Jane Scott’s new book: Orchids of Margaret River – and Australia’s Southwest Capes, on Saturday, May 16th at the Margaret River Community Resource Centre. This book showcases the fantastic array of native orchids that we have in the Margaret River and SW Capes Region, featuring 130 different orchids, including a few hybrids thrown in for good measure! Books available for sale on the night @ $20. Sales proceeds from the launch go to the Cape to Cape Catchments Group. Find out more on the Cape to Cape Events calendar listing here.
- Settlers Tavern in Margaret River is a finalist in the eighth annual ‘WA’s Best Steak Sandwich Competition’. Five metropolitan and five regional finalists for WA’s Best Steak Sandwich will compete in the grand final ‘cook-off’, taking place at Hospitality Expo 2015 on Tuesday 19 May (regional) and Wednesday 20 May (metropolitan) at Crown Perth. Good luck to Settler’s Tavern, our fingers are crossed for you!
- The Rotary Club of Margaret River is pleased to invite you to an entertaining and challenging wine tasting evening. The evening will be compered by wine author and West Australian wine writer Ray Jordan. Test your tasting skills with blind tastings of Cullen, Moss Wood and Vasse Felix wines. A selection of cheeses will be provided to complement the wines. Tickets are available from Quality Inn. Find out more on the Cape to Cape Events calendar listing here.