The annual WA Tourism Awards were held in Perth at Crown Casino on Saturday the 12th of November. There were 30 award categories with most of them acknowledging excellence with Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals.
MRBTA and many of our members did the region proud, taking out a number of gongs.
MRBTA won the Gold Medal for Destination Marketing. Our marketing teams’ efforts with the one unified Brand “Your Margaret River Region” brand development work consisting of new website, collateral and App were recognised for innovation and growth in visitation to the region.
Our fabulous and highly experienced Cave Guide, Alan Meyburgh was nominated for the coveted FACET Golden Guide Award. There was only one award with 7 finalists. (no silver or bronze for this category). Whilst the guide from Two Feet and a Heartbeat was the category winner – Alan can be justifiably proud of being a finalist in an incredibly impressive and diverse field. We are very proud of Alan’s achievement to make finalist.
Later in the evening, MRBTA was awarded with a Gold Medal for Visitor Information Services & Matt Norton accepted the award on behalf of our organisation. Congratulations to Matt, Kylie and the entire Visitor Servicing team who thoroughly deserved the win up against stiff competition of 7 other finalists
Finally, the Sir David Brand Medal to an individual for their contribution to the tourism industry is one of the most anticipated awards of the evening and we pleased to share that Clive Johnson (our Deputy Chair and board member) was deservedly presented with this ultimate Western Australian Tourism recognition in front of around 900 people to rapturous applause. Clive and Margaret were also front page news of the Sunday Times last night!
A number of members from the YMRR won awards on the night too. Our heartfelt congratulations to these deserving operators!
- Koomal Dreaming and Top Drop Tours were entered into the Hall of Fame
- Fervor – Silver Medal for Excellence in Food Catering
- RAC Busselton Holiday Park – Bronze for Caravan & Holiday Parks
- Busselton Jetty – Bronze Medal for WA’s Top Tourist Attraction
- 2016 Drug Aware Margaret River Pro – Silver Award for Major Festivals and Events
- Vasse Virgin – Two time Bronze Medal Winners for Excellence in Chinese Tourism and Specialised Tourism Services
- Adams Coaches – Major Tour and Transport Operator – Adams also received the overall winner of the Sir David Brand Medal for Tourism (Business) against impressive competition
- Sandalford Wines also won a number of categories with their joint Swan Valley/Margaret River businesses